Summer Efficiency Shutdown Program
Important Information for All 12-Month Employees
Austin ISD Work Schedule for Summer 2012
--Please Read Completely Memo and Address Any Questions or Concerns
with Your Supervisor--
One Week Closure: July 2-6
Austin ISD will be closed during the week of July 2-6, 2012. (Since Wednesday, July 4 is a
holiday, employees are already off work on that day.) For the remaining four days during that week, July
2-6, all employees who are on duty during that time will be required to use accumulated vacation time. For a
full-time employee, this would require the use of 32 vacation hours (4 days X 8 hours/day).
- If an employee does not have sufficient accumulated vacation time to cover the four days off from July 2-6,
the employee's personal leave, accumulated prior to that time, will be used to cover the difference.
- Also, all 12-month employees accrue five new workdays of personal leave in the month of July.
This additional personal leave will be used to cover any remaining leave deficit during July 2-6.
- IMPORTANT: All employees who are on duty during this week MUST submit vacation time
via the Workforce Time and Attendance system for July 2, 3, 5, 6. Submit personal leave only if
vacation is not sufficient to cover the hours absent.
Vacation Time for 12-Month Administrators and Professionals:
- 12-month administrators and professionals do not earn paid vacation time.
- Vacation time is actually unpaid, non-duty days remaining at the end of the employee's contract period in
June of each school year. For 2011-12, these employees have eight (8) non-duty days remaining in June 2012.
- Those days appear as "Non Duty" days on the employee's check stub at the beginning of the school year, even
though those days are not technically available until the end of the school year.
- Employees may choose to use those days in advance, before the end of the school year. However, if the
employee resigns before the end of the school year, the employee will be docked for any days used in advance.
Vacation Time for 12-Month Classified Employees:
- 12-month classified employees earn paid vacation time at the rate of one workday each month, up to 10
- In addition, these employees typically have one additional unpaid vacation day that is credited at
the end of June.
Four-Day Workweeks: June 25 - July 27
During a portion of the summer 2012, Austin ISD will be operating on a 4-day workweek. Employees
who are on duty during this time will work 10 hours/day, Monday through Thursday. The District will be closed
on Fridays. This schedule will be in effect during the following weeks:
- June 25-29 (closed on Friday, June 29)
- July 9-13 (closed on Friday, July 13)
- July 16-20 (closed on Friday, July 20)
- July 23-27 (closed on Friday, July 27)
Daily Work Hours:
- During the 4-day workweek, all District offices will be open for business from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- As long as all work hours are covered each day, Principals/Directors may work with employees to establish
individual work schedules within the following options:
- Work from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with a 30 minute lunch.
- Work from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with a 30 minute lunch.
- Work from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with a one hour lunch.
During this time, an employee will need to report leave hours for a full day off, as follows:
- 100% employee: 10 hours/day
- 80% employee: 8 hours/day
- 75% employee: 7.5 hours/day
- 70% employee: 7 hours/day
- 60% employee: 6 hours/day
- 50% employee: 5 hours/day
Office of Facilities
1111 W. 6th Street
Austin, Texas, 78703