XI. Individual Board Member Requests for Information or Reports
Back to main page
- An individual Board member, acting in his or her official capacity, has the right to seek information
pertaining to District fiscal affairs, business transactions, governance, school operations, and personnel
matters, including information that properly may be withheld from members of the general public in
accordance with the Public Information Chapter of the Government Code.
- Individual members shall not have access to confidential student records unless the member is acting
in his or her official capacity and has a legitimate educational interest in the records. In such cases,
individual members shall seek access to the records from the Superintendent or District Public Information
Specialist. At the time access to the records is provided, the Board member shall be advised of his or
her responsibility to comply with confidentiality requirements.
- Board members may e-mail or call the Superintendent, Officers, or the Chief of Staff to ask questions
or request information.
- The Superintendent may refuse to respond to requests that, in the Superintendent's opinion, would
require a material amount of staff time or resources or which are disruptive or unreasonable. In such
cases, the Superintendent will redirect the request to the full Board for authorization (B/SR-2).
- Written responses to information requests from the Board will be distributed to all Board members
in a timely manner.
- Individual Board members shall not issue formal written or oral requests for information directly
to campus principals or other administrators not designated as Board contacts.