2011-2012 Fine Arts Calendar, Staffing, Report Card, and Programming Information
The Fine Arts Department of the Austin Independent School District serves students and faculty in Music (Band, Choir, Orchestra), Theatre, Dance, and Visual Arts Curricular Study Areas.
The purpose of the AISD Fine Arts Department is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for cognitive, creative, and social growth. The AISD Fine Arts Department actively seeks to:
- Build many types of literacy while developing intuition, reasoning, imagination, and dexterity into unique forms of expression and communication.
- Explore the influence of the arts in their power to create and reflect cultures.
- Engage students in a process that enables them to develop the self-esteem, self-discipline, self-motivation, and cooperation necessary for success in life.
We in the AISD Fine Arts Department share the following beliefs regarding Fine Arts curriculum and instruction:
- Instruction in the Fine Arts is essential for the development of the whole child.
- Fine Arts education is for all students.
- Well-educated students have a basic knowledge, skills, and appreciation of the Fine Arts.
- The Fine Arts provide unique experiences that combine the physical, mental, social, and emotional aspects of human existence.
- The Fine Arts are a means of communication beyond the written and spoken word with the self, others, and the world around us.
- The Fine Arts are a historical component of civilization and a body of knowledge which provide a sense of cultural integrity and a sense of belonging.
- Participation in the Fine Arts maximizes critical thinking skills and creativity.
- Fine Arts education prepares students to be successful, contributing members of society.
AISD Fine Arts
1111 West Sixth Street
Austin, TX 78703-5399
Office Phone: 512.414.4489
Middle and High School Course Descriptions
Instructional Planning Guides (IPG)